Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holiday Cheese Blintz Soufflé with Blackberry Compote


Wow…I cannot believe Christmas is next week.  I stayed up till Midnight last night last night wrapping gifts, my most detested task of the Christmas holidays.  I would rather be in the kitchen any day J. Faye was saying that she just started her shopping, so don’t feel so bad that I'm not done yet. I'm sitting on my couch right now typing this, looking at my beautiful tree and stocking hung and Christmas music in the back ground.  I have been so busy this year that it is so nice to just sit back and take in the holiday. The  Christmas Spirit, the colors, the smells and the flavors, it is such a beautiful time of year .  We all need to just take the time and just enjoy it, see it, inhale it, taste it.  Because before we know it, it will be over and all that the Christmas holiday brings will be gone for another year.I guess that is one of the things I love about cooking the best.  That all I need to do is cook one of my Christmas favorites at any time and it brings some of the emotions, scents and flavors back for at least a day.
This brings me today’s recipe, it brought me back to an event.  A few years ago, my high school best friend Dana and I took a trip to New Mexico right before the Holidays. It was on my list of states I wanted to visit, and Dana is always up for traveling.  We had a wonderful time visiting Albuquerque, Taos and Santa Fe.  New Mexico is a great state, but the food..now that is fantastic!.  The recipe I am sharing with you today is from a Bed and Breakfast we stayed at during out visit. The Inn Keeper made this for our breakfast our first morning, a very nice way to start our vacation.  I made sure to ask them for the recipe which they shared ( Faye and I are both strong believers that recipes should be shared, hence one of the reasons for the blog).  Through the years I have perfected the Blintz Soufflé to my taste. This is great dish to make for a Christmas morning for youe family. It is sweet and creamy and the Blackberry Compote topping just sends it over the top.  Your family will be very impressed with your skills,  and it will become a family favorite for years to come.  And the best part is that it is a super easy recipe that anyone can make.   Happy Cooking everyone!
  

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, melted
12 frozen cheese blintzes (two boxes)
5 eggs
1 1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter (soften)
¾  cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup orange juice
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Nutmeg for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
<!1.Melt butter and pour over a 9x9 baking dish
<!2.Line blitzes in a row, two rows of 6

<!                                                      Beat together, all the remaining ingredients.



<!                                                           Pour the custard over the blitzes


<!Sprinkle with the nutmeg
<!Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, then lower temp to 350 and back for 30-45 minutes.
<!If its starts to get a bit too toasted on the top, lay a piece of foil on the top.

Blackberry Jam

a. 2 pints of blackberries
b. ½ cup sugar
c. zest of one orange
d. ¼ nutmeg
e. 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
In a  medium size pot over medium heat. Combine blackberries, sugar, and orange zest and ¼ cup water.  Cook for about 15-20 , till the berries start breaking down.  Mix cornstarch in about 3 tablespoons of water .  pour cornstarch mixture into berries slowly, stirring the berries with cornstarch mixture gently.  Add only as much of the cornstarch mixture as you need to thicken and get to the consistence you want. Cool for about 15 and serve warm

No comments:

Post a Comment