Dinner….. How do you make a tasty dinner and cut the calories? Well I have the recipe for you! If you are as busy as I am, and looking for ways to make healthy main dishes, this is a great recipe to make. It is quick and easy to prepare, tastes great and is healthy for you. My Tia Conchi made this recipe for me a few years ago. I loved it as first taste! As I had mentioned previously, Faye and I both have mothers who are amazing cooks. Well, in my mother's family, her sisters are also great cooks. Hence I’m dedicating this posting to one of my Tia Conchi's recipes. She has actually created a little home business in Mexico based on some of the Christmas cookies Faye and I have made through the years. Now back to the recipe… Tilapia Empapelado is Tilapia covered with fresh veggies and wrapped in foil and baked till the vegtables are juicy and the fish is flakey. This recipe can also be prepped ahead of time by marinating the fish during the day. The fish comes out even more flavorful if it is marinated for a longer time. I have also made this recipe with red snapper and halibut , so the Tilapia is really easy to interchange with the fish of your choice. Same goes with the vegtables. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Happy cooking everyone.
Tilapia Empapelado (Wrapped Tilapia)
1 pound tilapia (should be around 8 pieces)
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 California green chile, finely diced
1 cup frozen peas
½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
1 medium size zucchini, finely sliced
Preheat oven to 375. Set aside a cookie sheet.
1. In a small bowl combine soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder and black pepper. (reserve 3 tablespoons for vegetables)
2. Take the tilapia and rinse it under cold water for about 30 seconds. Take the clean fish and put in a medium size bowl. Add the soy sauce marinade (except the 3 reserved tablespoons) . Cover bowl with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes
3. While the fish is marinating, start cutting all the vegetables. Make sure the vegetable are all finely sliced , this will make it easier for them to cook. Put all vegetable in one medium size bowl and add the 3 tablespoons of marinade. Stir so they are all evenly coated.
4. Cut 4 pieces of foil about 12-14 inches long.
5. At the bottom of one piece of foil, add 1 teaspoon of butter. Place two pieces of fish on top of the butter.
6. Spoon on top of the fish 3-4 large spoonfuls of vegetables.
7. Take top and bottom ends of the foil and meet in the middle. Fold ends over 2 or 3 times. Now take the sides of the foil and fold those in, 2 or 3 times. You just made a neat little oven steaming vessel for the fish and the vegetables. Take the fish and vegetable pack and put on the cookie sheet.
8. Repeat process till all four packs are done.
9. Bake for 20 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and serve with white or brown rice.
My mother and her sisters, Tia Conchi is the one on the right end :-)