Thursday, September 20, 2012

End of Summer Berry Cobbler for Two



Even though we just suffered through a major heat wave, I'm not ready for Summer to end. I feel like I haven't enjoyed it enough and I'm rushing to enjoy all of my favorite Summer fruit. I have a very special recipe with peaches coming up next week, until then this Berry Cobbler is the perfect way to enjoy Summer berries. I used a combination of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. It's also the perfect size. I baked it in a small 8" skillet that I found at Ralphs for only $6.00. It makes a delicious and romantic rustic dessert that you can share right out of the pan!

** If you don't want to bake it in a skillet, use a small baking dish. A pie pan would also work! You can also double the recipe and bake it in a larger skillet or baking dish.



End of Summer Berry Cobbler for Two

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup blueberries, rinsed and dried
1/2 cup raspberries, carefully rinsed and dried
1/2 cup strawberries, rinsed, dried and cut into fourths
zest and juice from half a lemon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F

Place 1/4 cup of each of the berries in a medium saucepan. Add 3 tablespoons of water, the juice from half a small lemon, and the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir to combine. Cook over medium-high heat until berries have broken down and thickened. This takes about 5-7 minutes. Stir occassionally to prevent sticking/scorching. Note: If your berries aren't thickening, your heat is too low. The heat needs to be medium-high.





Pour the berry mixture into a medium bowl to cool while you prepare the remaining ingredients.



In a medium bowl, combine the flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

Melt butter in a small 8" oven proof skillet. Remove from heat. Note: I covered the handle of my oven proof skillet with foil to prevent melting.




Pour the milk into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth with no lumps.



Pour the milk/flour mixture over the butter in the skillet. Do not mix it together, just pour it in.



Add the remaining 1/4 cup of reserved berries to the bowl with the cooked berry mixture. Add the lemon zest and fold gently with a rubber spatula or spoon.





Spoon the berry mixture over the flour/butter mixture in the skillet as evenly as possible.



Place the skillet on a baking sheet to catch any drippings (mine didn't drip or spill over at all) and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and almost set in the center.



Remove from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes to allow the cobbler to set.



Serve warm with a dollop of homemade cinnamon whipped cream or your favorite ice cream.







2 comments:

  1. :D I like how this is for TWO! I love eating fresh desserts and sharing them with the fiance. Really easy and simple, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since our youngest left fir Culinary school last week, I've had to learn to downsize my cooking and baking so this worked out perfectly for me and my hubby.

      Delete