Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mexican Banana Cream Pie




If you love pie, I mean really, truly, deep down in your heart love pie, especially Banana Cream Pie, then you will LOVE this recipe. I needed a dessert for a "Mexican inspired" dinner I was making for a friend that had recently been ill. I made a Corn and Poblano Lasagna (recipe to come), Kale Salad and this delicious Mexican Banana Cream Pie.  
 
I'm asked all the time where I get my inspiration from. Honestly, from anything that sounds, tastes, looks or smells delicious! I got my inspiration for this recipe while watching an episode of  The Kitchen hosted by one of my favorite Food Network chefs, Marcela Valladolid. She was making her Dulce de Leche Banana Cream Pie. That was all I needed to be inspired!  
 
I made Marcella's recipe and it was amazing, but I wanted something a bit more like the traditional American Banana Cream pie so I came up with my own version. It has all the same ingredients as the original recipe, just made a bit lighter in texture. 

 
Both recipes are delicious, so I wouldn't be offended at all if you make her recipe (which you can find here), but I really hope you'll give this recipe a try as well.
 
I can't say enough how much I love this pie! It is truly a pie lover's dream - sweet, salty, crunchy and creamy all in one.  And of course, you can't forget the star of the show, the fresh bananas! 

Happy cooking everyone!


Mexican Banana Cream Pie
Makes one pie (serves 8-10)

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup roasted peanuts (finely chopped, food processor works the best)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick butter - melted (I used the sweet cream, which has salt)

FILLING:
Top layer
4 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 stick butter (softened)
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Middle layer
3 medium banana (you don't want the bananas to be over-ripe for this recipe. Skin should still be yellow with no browning)

Bottom Layer
1 Cup Dulce De Leche (Nestle makes it, in the Mexican food section, but if you cannot find, a thick Caramel will work)
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (liquid)

Sprinkle Top
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
3 tablespoons Caramel (reserved from your Dulce De Leche before making the bottom layer filling)

DIRECTIONS:

Crust-
1. Mix Graham cracker crumbs, peanut crumbs, cinnamon and butter.  Toss to combine until the crumbs are coated.
2. Press lightly into the bottom and up the sides of you pie plate.
3. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.



While the crust is chilling start on the filling....

Cream Cheese Top layer Filling-
1. Cream the softened butter and cream cheese until well combined and fluffy.
2. Add the powdered sugar and cinnamon, beat slowly until combined.
3. Add the heavy whipping cream.  Whip until stiff peaks form.
4.Refrigerate for 10 minutes.





Caramel Bottom layer filling-
1. Cream whipping cream until it forms stiff peaks. Set aside
2.  Mix the caramel enough to loosen it up.  Not too much or it will become liquid.
3. Fold in whipped cream.
4.Refrigerate 5-10 minutes





After all of the ingredients have been chilled, slice the bananas. 

Assembly:

1. Remove cold crust from refrigerator.
2. Spread the caramel into an even layer on top of the crust.



3. Layer the sliced bananas over the caramel.


4. Spread the cream cheese mixture in an even layer over the bananas.


5. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours
6. Sprinkle with peanuts and drizzle with melted caramel (optional)



Enjoy!!!!




























No comments:

Post a Comment